Budget: Setting Up A Painting Space


Why a Specific Space
I'm going to set up a specific place to do my modeling and painting.
I don't know about you, but I like to have a designated space to do specific things. You could always just paint on your dining table, but that could cause a lot of problems with the rest of your family. There will be times when you'll need to leave your current project sitting, either to let it dry or whatever. Leaving things sitting on the dining table doesn't go over well in my household. There are also times when you'll be struck with the mood to just sit down and paint. Having a specific place set up and ready will alleviate wasting this mood with dragging everything out and setting it all up. The space will just be ready and waiting for whenever you are.

The Basics
The three basic things to set up a painting and modeling space are: a place to work, a place to sit, and lighting. First, you're going to need a table for a place to work. You want something big enough to work on and keep your tools and painting equipment. Next, you'll need a place to sit your bottom, no one wants to stand up and work. I'd suggest a moderately comfortable chair, nothing too luxurious, you'll be working after all and you don't want to fall asleep. I'm looking for something with a straight back that doesn't recline. Last, you'll need to get a decent swivel lamp for when you want to work at night.

You want to set up the table near a window. This will give you natural light during the daytime and is very important. Artificial light gives off a yellow tinge which will cause you to see colors in a different way. Just as important, is getting a 'natural light' light bulb for your lamp. If your painting during the day in daylight and at night with an ordinary light bulb you'll be viewing your work in different conditions. Having a 'natural light' bulb will keep you consistent.

Budget
After getting my $100 for this two week pay period I set out looking for these items.
By the way, I'll be rounding all prices to the nearest dollar after taxes. I picked up a 4ft x 2ft folding table for $41 at the local Office Depot. This will give me plenty of space for my tools, paint, and still leave plenty of space for the actual work of modeling and painting. Next, I picked up a sled based stacking chair. I got the chair at Officemax for $38, it was actually the Officemax brand, similar to this chair but about half the price. Last, I picked up a cheap lamp at Hobby Lobby for $12 and a 'natural light' light bulb for it at Home Depot. It was a nice halogen bulb that will last a good 2 years for $4.



That's a grand total of $95, so we used up most of the budget this time. That won't always be the case, believe me. There will be no eating lunch out this pay period, but at least I can buy 5 cups of cheap coffee the first week. Oh well, I'll live.

Posted in Labels: , , |

4 comments:

  1. Dane of War Says:

    Indeed. As long as we have coffee... anything is possible.

    This looks to be a really informative blog for folks, and I'm excited to see what you do with it!

  2. Kosh Says:

    Thanks, Dane. I'm hoping this blog becomes a place for new people to WH to come and see it's not that intimidating to get into. It may evolve into something more than that eventually, but so far that's the plan.

  3. Unknown Says:

    Nice table and setup. I agree, it's very important to have a designated spot for hobbyworking.

    For cheap paint bottle storage, you might want to look at something like this:

    http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000035440211P?keyword=cutlery

    It's a cheap plastic cutlery tray with dividers that propped up vertically will give you instant shelves to store your paints in. You might want to fasten it to the wall or the table, though.

  4. Kosh Says:

    Thanks for the tip, Wee. I actually have a couple of spare drawer boxes like this:

    http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/65045.jpg

    I had planned on using them to store paint pots, but you're idea might be better. I'm going to check those out.